Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Who Knew...

Recovery runs could be just as nice as a good long run?

Well, maybe not quite as rewarding, but nearly. Especially when it went as nice as this one.

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I do a bit of walking when I run; especially during my long runs. Why? Well, because I feel like I have to. I feel like, about 80% of the time, my walking is due to psychological barriers ("Just walk for a minute!" "I feel (generally) tired..." "UGH!" those kind). The other 10% has to do with leg cramps, stomach cramps, or...um...other types of cramps and things.

So, on this run, I just focused on keeping my heart rate in what I thought to be a good recovery zone. On my "normal" runs, my target heart rate is 170-173. Today, I tried to keep it in the high 160's at the most, which I did pretty well on. Usually, my heart rate on my Garmin graph thing looks like a lie detector test gone horribly, horribly wrong. This time? It looked like a slightly nervous Nelly who's perfectly innocent, but sweating because of social ineptitude...or...something. Yeah, back to the bad metaphors again, hehe.

So, this run went great! I walked the (absolutely unavoidable! Seriously, it's a bit annoying, but nice for strength, right?) uphills, ran the downhills. Ran for exactly 2 miles, thanks to my trusty Garmin 305. So. Awesome!

And the rundown (no pun intended):

Warm up: None; it was so hot, I just kind of felt like my muscles were warm enough!
Mile 1) 14:24
2) 13:06

I know I was properly hydrated too! How? I sweat enough to practically soak my clothes... in only 2 miles... of a recovery run... Okay, it was a bit warm; not uncomfortable, though. Perhaps a touch humid, but again, not that I noticed. So. Lovely, lovely hydration.

Also, I ate a bit better, and, oddly, a bit worse, today than usual. Oranges are my new favorite thing. Sliced, of course! Somehow, they taste better that way...

Also, do you know how nice it is to finally realize "I'm training for a marathon!"

I actually went online today and looked at the pictures from the race from last year. So. Many. People. I'm scared, really. Seriously. I'm going to have to make seriously doubly sure that I'm in the back of the lineup! Especially since it's  Boston qualifier, so I don't want to get in anyone's way at all whatsoever.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be scared. Runners are the best, nicest people. You will be surrounded by lots and lots of friends when you get to that starting line.

    And there is no shame in walking. So don't let it take anything away from the fact that you are a runner.

    You are awesome for even paying attention to your heart rate. I'm afraid to even strap that thing on me for fear of what it will tell me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really am looking forward to it. It's just that, looking at the pictures, I realize that so many people will be running! Also, I haven't been able to really get used to a racing atmosphere; I've only been in 2 5ks, one of which was quite small, and the other wasn't huge, either!

    ReplyDelete